Last Updated: May 25, 2022
Your privacy is important to us. This privacy statement explains the personal data ABR processes, how ABR processes it and for what purposes.
References to ABR products in this statement include ABR services, websites, apps, software, servers and devices. Our products include Nengo, NengoEdge, Brain Board Bitstream, and the ABR websites including www.appliedbrainresearch.com, www.nengo.ai and other electronic services such as our customer support application, our electronic file repositories, as well as other ABR products and services that display this statement.
- Personal data we collect
- Your choice to provide data
- How we collect your data
- How we use personal data
- We do not sell personal data
- Reasons we share personal data
- How to access and control your personal data
- Cookies and similar technologies
- How you can control cookies
- Account types
- Products provided by your organisation – notice to end users
- Third-Party Links
- Product-specific details
- Privacy policies of other websites
- How to contact us
Personal data we collect
ABR collects data from you, through our interactions with you and through our products. You provide some of this data directly, and we get some of it by collecting data about your interactions, use and experiences with our products. The data we collect depends on the context of your interactions with ABR and the choices that you make, including your privacy settings and the products and features that you use. We also obtain data about you from third parties.
Your choice to provide data
You have choices when it comes to the technology you use and the data you share. When we ask you to provide personal data, you can decline. Some of our products require some personal data to provide you with a service. If you choose not to provide data necessary to provide you with a product or feature, you cannot use that product or feature. Likewise, where we need to collect personal data by law or to enter into or carry out a contract with you, and you do not provide the data, we will not be able to enter into the contract; or if this relates to an existing product you’re using, we may have to suspend or cancel it. We will notify you if this is the case at the time. Where providing the data is optional, and you choose not to share personal data, some or all features of the relevant products, that use such data, will not work for you.
How we collect your data
You directly provide us with most of the data we collect. We collect data and process data to serve you including when:
- You register online or place an order for any of our products or services.
- You voluntarily complete a customer survey or provide feedback on any of our message boards or via email.
- You use or view our website(s)
- You use our products or services
- You enter into contracts for the purchase and/or use of any of our products or services.
- You interact with our sales, customer support, technical personnel, management and/or agents.
- We receive your data indirectly from sources such as Google Analytics and other services we use to manage our electronic systems.
How we use personal data
ABR uses the data we collect to provide you with rich, interactive experiences. In particular, we use data:
- To provide our products, which includes updating, securing and troubleshooting, as well as providing support. It also includes sharing data, when it is required to provide the service or carry out the transactions you request.
- To improve and develop our products.
- To personalise our products and make recommendations.
- To advertise and market to you, which includes sending promotional communications, targeting advertising and presenting you with relevant offers.
- When you engage with an ABR sales representative, we may collect your name and contact data, along with information about your organisation, to support your engagement with us.
- When you interact with an ABR support professional, we collect device and usage data or error reports to diagnose and resolve problems.
- When you pay for products, we collect your contact and payment data to process the payment.
- When ABR sends communications to you, we use data to personalise the content of the communication.
- When you engage with ABR for professional services, we may collect your name and contact data and use the information to perform the services that you have requested.
- To operate our business, which includes analysing our performance, meeting our legal obligations, developing our workforce and doing research.
- To combine with data that we collect from different contexts (for example, from your use of two of ABR’s website and/or products) or obtain from third parties to give you a more seamless, consistent and personalised experience, to make informed business decisions and for other legitimate purposes.
We do not sell personal data
We do not and will not sell your personal data to anyone.
Reasons we share personal data
We share your personal data with your consent or to complete any transaction or provide any product you have requested or authorised. We also share data with ABR-controlled affiliates and subsidiaries; with vendors working on our behalf; when required by law or to respond to legal process; to protect our customers; to maintain the security of our products; and to protect the rights and property of ABR and its customers.
How to access and control your personal data
You can also make choices about the collection and use of your data by ABR. You can control your personal data that ABR has obtained, and exercise your data protection rights, by contacting ABR. In some cases, your ability to access or control your personal data will be limited, as required or permitted by applicable law. How you can access or control your personal data will also depend on which products you use. Please see the “How to contact us” below for information on contacting us to exercise your rights.
Cookies and similar technologies
- Functionality: ABR uses these cookies so that we recognize you on our website and remember your previously selected preferences. These could include what language you prefer and location you are in. A mix of first-party and third-party cookies are used.
- Advertising: ABR uses these cookies to collect information about your visit to our website, the content you viewed, the links you followed and information about your browser, device, and your IP address. ABR sometimes shares some limited aspects of this data with third parties for advertising purposes. We may also share online data collected through cookies with our advertising partners. This means that when you visit another website, you may be shown advertising based on your browsing patterns on our website.
How you can control cookies
With an ABR account, you can sign in to ABR products, as well as those of select ABR partners. Personal data associated with your ABR account may include credentials, name and contact data, payment data, device and usage data, your contacts, information about your activities, and your interests and favourites. Signing in to your ABR account may enable personalisation and consistent experiences across products and devices, permits you to use cloud data storage, allows you to make payments using payment instruments stored in your ABR account, and enables other features. There are three types of ABR account:
- When you create your own ABR account tied to your personal email address, we refer to that account as a personal ABR account.
- When you or your organisation (such as an employer or your school) create your ABR account tied to your email address provided by that organisation, we refer to that account as a work or school account.
Products provided by your organisation – notice to end users
Many ABR products are intended for use by organisations, such as schools and businesses. If your organisation provides you with access to ABR products, your use of the ABR products is subject to your organisation’s policies, if any. You should direct your privacy inquiries, including any requests to exercise your data protection rights, to your organisation’s administrators. ABR is not responsible for the privacy or security practices of our customers, which may differ from those set forth in this privacy statement.
If you use an ABR product or use an email address to access ABR products and that product or email address was provided by an organisation you are affiliated with, such as an employer or school, that organisation can and may:
- Control and direct us to administer your ABR product and product account, including controlling privacy-related settings of the product or product account.
- Access and process your data, including the interaction data, diagnostic data and the contents of your communications and files associated with your ABR product and product accounts.
If you lose access to your work or educational institution account (in the event of a change of employment, for example), you may lose access to products and the content associated with those products, including those you acquired on your own behalf, if you used your work or educational institution account to sign in to such products.
ABR has put in place suitable physical and managerial procedures to safeguard and secure the data we collect to industry standard for similar electronic services.
ABR cannot be held responsible for the protection and privacy of any data readers provide while directly and/or indirectly interacting with any third-party sites.
In the event of a conflict between this ABR privacy statement and the terms of any agreement(s) between a customer and ABR for specific products and/or services, the terms of the agreement(s) will control.
Privacy policies of other websites
Use of ABR websites, products and electronic services is at your own risk. There are no provided warranties or guarantees of any kind as to the accuracy, timeliness, performance and/or usefulness of any information found on any ABR website. All information on any ABR website is subject to change without notice. All intellectual property, information, designs and/or layouts on any ABR website is owned and copyrighted by ABR and may be subject to ABR trademarks and/or patents. Any links to third-party sites are provided for convenience and do not signify endorsement, further ABR has no responsibility for the content of any third-party site whether linked directly, indirectly or not. Unauthorized use of the site (or its contents) may give rise to a claim for damages.
How to contact us